Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Uphane or Euphane Chapple

Uphane (Euphane): A Scottish Rose by any other name would smell just as sweet!
Here's an interesting bit of information . . . I've been researching the name "Uphane" in an attempt to locate Henry's wife's origins, and in my search I located an entry in the Maryland Marriage References Index (MSA S1527) "Uphen, dau of Thomas Beall." Old bird-dog that I am, I went up the trail and researched the will of Thomas Beall, to discover "Uphan (Euphane)." Further research revealed that this given name originates from Scotland. Although I have not found out our (E)Uphane's maiden name as of yet (the Uphen (Beall) Tannihill m by 1719 and our (E)Uphane was b abt 1711), I am excited to have discovered more information that may help us in our search for the identity of Henry Chappell, Sr.'s wife.

No comments: